"The Lover’s eyes," were hand-painted miniatures of a human eye set in jewellery and given as token of affection or remembrance. They were Georgian miniatures, normally watercolour on ivory, set with gemstones, occasionally included also a lock of hair.
In 1785, when the Prince of Wales secretly proposed to Mrs. Maria Fitzherbert with a miniature of his own eye, he inspired an aristocratic fad for exchanging eye portraits mounted in a wide variety of settings including brooches, rings or lockets.
Portrait miniatures were very popular items of jewellery during the 18th century. It was however, a short-lived trend. By the 1820s, eye jewellery had gone out of fashion.

The diorama was inspired by the jewellery collection of the District Museum in Konin.

Handpained image of the eye (canvas) behind the domed glass.
Size of the brooch 23 cm x 17 cm, pearls 3 cm.
Size of the installation: 60 cm x 45 cm x 30 cm.

Konin, 15.10.2021